Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Concerto Guide: Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, op. 58

The next concerto on my evolving list is the Piano Concerto No. 4 by Beethoven. I was all set to do a post on it, but then I remembered that I already did one back in Nov. 2011. Here is the link.

I wouldn't add too much to it today except to note that the opening phrase in the solo piano--yes, this piano concerto uniquely begins with the entire first phrase in the solo instrument--is answered with the dominant of the relative minor: by B major, in other words. E minor is also the key of the middle movement which is possibly the most extraordinary concerto movement ever written. I think I will just refer you back to this earlier post instead of doing it all again. I have gone back and updated the video clips.

I want to mention that next week I will be delving into the Beethoven Violin Concerto which is another extraordinary piece and probably the one that has inspired so many composers since to write large violin concertos.

1 comment:

Rickard said...

Hmm, relatively long orchestral section after the initial piano opening in the first movement. The first movement covers more than half of the duration of the concerto. Yes, the second movement has some amazing contrasts and it's a huge contrast compared to the lengthy and massive first movement. Anyways, the 3rd movement is once again my favorite. Well, I simply like the intensity and the Rondo main theme.