Saturday, February 21, 2015

What's in the Pipeline

I'm sorry, but there won't be much of a post this morning. I'm just too tied up with other business. But I thought I might share with you what I have planned for the near future at the Music Salon.

  • Before that, you might have a look at the comments on yesterday's Friday Miscellanea post as there were some interesting thoughts.
  • I have been exploring Prokofiev a lot lately. I never paid much attention to him, not sure why, but some comments by Nathan Shirley quite a while back piqued my interest and I am finally getting around to him. I knew the piano concertos a tiny bit from years back, but, apart from the Classical Symphony, his symphonies were terra incognita. But I have been listening to them this week and wow! Great stuff. So, I will be talking about them soon.
  • There will some posts on Schoenberg coming up as well.
  • I have a post on the ten best 19th century symphonies in preparation. This is surprisingly tough to do!
  • I'm also going to do a post on the neo-romantic composer Lowell Liebermann.
  • If you have any suggestions for post topics, don't hesitate to put them in the comments. Always looking for ideas.
  • That's about all I have planned at the moment.
Let's end with one of those Prokofiev symphonies. Here is the not-so-well-known Symphony No. 2, fascinatingly constructed with two movements, the second a set of theme and variations. Conducted by Neeme Järvi with the Royal Scottish Orchestra:


6 comments:

Rickard said...

What will the next installment in the concerto guide be?

Bryan Townsend said...

I think either the Schumann Piano Concerto or the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto. Both are from 1845.

Rickard said...

No Chopin?

Bryan Townsend said...

I could, I suppose. Not sure they are important set beside his solo piano music. You think I should?

Rickard said...

If you don't think they are important then move ahead to Mendelssohn and/or Schumann I guess.

Bryan Townsend said...

Chopin's solo piano music? Hugely important. Chopin's concertos, both written in short order when he was 19 or 20? Not so important.